.........................................................................................

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tupperware Bandits

We join our hero as she gathers her things diligently, carefully, ensuring she's got it all and balancing her way out the door...

So I gathered up my dishes and to carry them down the hall to wash them. There are two fire doors I have to open and walk through to get to the kitchen, so I have to balance all this stuff really carefully to be able to manage all this. Unfortunately there was some water on the floor I didn't see. Out go my feet; up go my hands, and flying go the dishes. It was a mess. It was totally one of those banana peel cartoon moments. (Shut up, John, I can hear you laughing from here.) Anyway, now that my dishes are all in pieces, there is no need to wash them. Grr...

So, I decided that I should make a trip to Ikea. I've never been, and they have really good stuff like this for super cheap. I texted my friend Kate, who I was meeting with later that night anyway and we decided to make an adventure out of it.

Neither of us had been to the Ikea here, so I looked up directions...Brooklyn!? What!? Ug, fine. So nearly an hour later we arrived at our train stop. (Hindsight says, don't try to leave Manhattan on a Monday night at 5ish...ever!) The lady at the booth told us where to go to catch the shuttle for the Ikea. Their website said it ran every half hour and was right outside the train station.

"Go out this exit and through the park. It stops down there," she said curtly, vaguely pointing behind her. So, we followed her quasi-directions and found ourselves wandering down a street next to a park. Overall, it seemed kinda sketchy. So, with no sign of the shuttle in sight, I made the executive decision to hail a cab...screw it-it's better to pay $10 for the cab than get mugged or worse.

When we finally got to the store, I was amazed. Ikea, if you've never been, is like a Sam's Club on CRACK! It's HUGE!! It's got everything! It's crazy. We got lost in the store. Their maps are so oversimplified. It seems like you turn one corner and you're in the next department. LIES! You snake around 8-9 turns and then find a door marked "shortcut" and never know how you got where you are, nor how to return. And then, it still wasn't where we needed to be! Out of desperation we asked someone for directions. Once we finally got to the correct location (after a ride in a HUGE and rather sketchy elevator), I found the jackpot...tons of plain, drab, fairly ugly dinnerware for CHEAP! Bowls for .78? Yes, please! (Mind you, during all this wandering and chaos trying to get to the store and around it, Kate says, "Why didn't you just order this online?" Omg, really? I'm a retard!)

After finding, finally, what we'd come for, we realized that it was dinner time and had always heard about the famous Ikea meatballs. We decided to give it a try. They were surprisingly tasty. I mean, for store food, not bad, and reasonably priced (for being a captive audience).

On our way back through the ridiculous maze to get out, we stumbled upon some tupperware containers. This made our nights. $3! OMG! I love this place. :D So, both of us getting a set, we made our way to the checkouts. What? No bag? You mean, I have to wander around the city carrying plates and bowls and tupperware? Ug! I'm a moron. OK.

We got the shuttle this time, and headed back to the train. We decided to watch where it dropped us off to see if we were even in the right place to begin with. We were not. The MTA lady had pointed us in completely the opposite direction of where we needed to be. Thanks a lot. But, we were here now, blue dinnerware and all. Wandering through the station, a cop asked us what we were doing carrying all that stuff. He kinda sounded like he was gonna check our receipts to make sure we hadn't stolen them...really? Cuz it's so easy to smuggle bowls and plates out like this!? Grr. Then he just made fun of us. Gee, thanks, helpful.

Once we were finally on the train, we could relax. It had been quite an adventurous night. Then, as we approached our stop and were getting up to get off, the train door closed in our face. What!? Really? Yup. That just happened. So we had to get off at the next stop and walk through Harlem with arms full of porcelain dinnerware and tupperware. Yeah, we're cool. :D

We finally made it home, and let me tell you...the cereal today tasted so much better out of that damn bowl. haha. And Kate is pretty excited about her tupperware, too.

Yay Ikea v-card turn-in. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment