.........................................................................................

Monday, September 20, 2010

Adventurous...always adventurous!

What a weekend to catch everyone up on. Ok, so let's start at the beginning. Thursday. Yes, technically not the weekend, but an adventurous day that began it.

Thursday I planned to get my hair cut. No biggie, right? Not in NY. Nothing's "No Biggie" here. So, having gone with Irene to a hair salon she's been going to for years and really likes, I decided to go there, too. And there prices are really reasonable (for NYC). I texted her early last week and asked the name of the place. Finding out there were 4 in Queens with that name, I asked her to clarify. O, it's the one in Flushing, she says, ok. So I call Janet (Irene texted me her number) and made my appointment. Thursday afternoon. Check. Ok.

Thursday comes around, and I have it all mapped out (Thank you, GoogleMaps). It'll take me 3 trains and then walking about 15 blocks (and an hour and a half) to get there. Alright. I left with plenty of time, so off I went. I made all the connections with the trains seamlessly. Then, after getting off the R, I realized that I had written down to take a left at 63rd, but I hadn't noted whether it was road or drive, and the R lets out at the intersection of the two. Grr. Ok. I asked for directions and set out on my way. Fifteen blocks later, I walk up to what is called the Creative Cuts. It doesn't look right. I walk in. Sure enough, it's not the same place. SOB! I called Janet and asked her where exactly she was. Luckily, the ladies at the CC where I was were able to tell me where I was so Janet could tell me how to get to her. I was clear across Queens! Are you kidding!? So I took a cab and finally made it (half an hour late) to my appointment. Janet worked her magic and then told me the correct way to get home.

As it turns out, I had actually transferred to my last train at the stop where I should have gotten out. So, I took the bus from right in front of the salon to the train and only rode 2 trains home. Way easier!

Pics of my new cut to come, as soon as I figure out how to load them. haha.

Then, Friday was my day to go home. After about 4 hours of sleep, my alarm rang at 3am and it was time to get ready (ok, I snoozed for 30 min but was still wide awake, so really not so productive). Thursday night brought really bad thunderstorms to the City and Queens was hit really hard. Since that is where the airport is, I decided to give myself some extra time. There was flooding and trees downed overnight, so I wanted to play it safe. Getting in the cab at 4:30, I headed to the airport. Apparently, the city crew had cleaned up all the trees and reopened the closed roads because we zoomed right there. It was time for my ass-early flight.

I arrived safely (obviously) in Milwaukee and lazed about for my lay-over. I noticed there were all these people in beer company shirts and jackets (it was freakin' COLD in WI...not sure why...hope it's not coming here) and all seated near me for Denver. Then it struck me...Beer Festival Weekend! Nice! So, with a plane full of brewmasters, we finally set off for home.

YAY HOME!! I got home safely and enjoyed the day with Patrick. The evening was spent meeting up with his friends from WI (most of whom I'd met in Feb when they came for the yurt trip, so it was fun to see them again). We hung out and had fun. After a late night, since we wanted to see Aaron and Laura before the big day, we finally made it home. When I had been up for 24 hours, I called it quits.

Saturday (wedding day) was fun. The ceremony was gorgeous and the reception was fun. Another late night and we had to call it quits.

Sunday Patrick and I decided to go up the mountain for a drive. We love driving, and the colors have started really early this year, so I wanted to see that. We had planned to take the Lotus, if we could get it working. We (and by we I mean Patrick) tinkered with it some in the morning and on a test drive around the block concluded that the problem was not fixed. Ok, beemer it is. We went up to Idaho Springs for some lunch at Beau Jo's. Mmmm. After lunch, we decided to go up toward Mt. Evan's and take Squaw Pass down. There should be lots of colors up there. About 5 miles up the road from Beau Jo's, the car warning came on that the engine was getting warm and to slow down. Weird. But then, about 30 seconds later, the red light came on that it had overheated and I needed to pull over immediately. Double weird.

We waited there on the side of the road for a while for it to cool down. Deciding that heading UP was probably not the best move, we turned around and headed back down. Then, about 500 feet DOWN, it happened again (and this time Patrick was driving, so it's not me!). Crap! We waited and waited and finally decided we could make it into town. We made it into Idaho Springs and called around for some help. Being a Sunday late afternoon, all we could do was get information from the insurance people about towing. We decided to leave it in IS and deal with it in the morning.

JULIE TO THE RESCUE!!!!! I called Julie to abandon her Sunday plans and drive an hour away just to come get us. I love you, Jules! So, once we finally made it down the mountain, it was pretty much bedtime.

Then, another ass-early flight this morning, and I'm back in NYC. The towing of the car has been a disaster for poor Patrick. Apparently the tow company that the insurance company uses is full of morons. We'll see how it pans out, because as of yet it hasn't been towed (3 hours AFTER the estimated arrival per the tow company).

Adventurous...my life is always adventurous. :)

1 comment:

  1. We (the amazing man in my life and myself) were happy to help, figuring karma will look our way sometime when we need help. And you would have done it for me! :)

    Actually the drive was nice and it was good to spend time together just chatting on the way up, and then again on the way down with you guys. Who needs to go out to chat when you can just ride in the car. LOL!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete