.........................................................................................

Monday, August 9, 2010

Learn Something New Everyday!

So today's something new...did you know, milk expires 2-3 days earlier in NYC than it does just outside the city?

Why? NYC has its own system and regulations for deciding milk's expiration. By law, for milk coming into the city, the printed date must be no more than 9 days past the pasteurization date. Basically, the milk is stamped with 2 dates. It says, for example, August 13 in NYC Aug 10. In researching the matter, I found that NYC Health Department made the law because of delivery methods bringing the milk into the city. The milk is more likely to sit unrefridgerated for longer on a truck or sidewalk waiting to be in the store. Therefore, the city says it is illegal for sale of this product to happen past midnight of the date stamped. However, the manufacturer is allowed to make up the date for sale outside the city and is not necessarily against the law to sell past it.

There you go...a tidbit for the day!

3 comments:

  1. I learned something new yesterday. If you're convicted of a felony, they take away your right to vote!

    I had no idea! I knew you lost a lot of rights, but I didn't know that.

    So there you go, my new thing I just learned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, because of my work at Prison Fellowship, I did know that. Isn't it sad?

    ReplyDelete