.........................................................................................

Monday, July 12, 2010

Can You Become...A New Version of You

I admit, I have a bit of an obsession. I love the show Felicity. I always have (well, always since it's been on). But, I never really realized how real it was until fairly recently. In season 3 they changed the opening song (Amy Jo Johnson left the show, so they stopped using a song she sang), and the opening line asks, "Can you become a new version of you?" and it really hit me. Just now. I took this journey to NY to further my education, better my job prospects and become a better teacher. But, I think I also had some personal issues underlying it that I didn't really realize or maybe just didn't want to admit. I feel kind of foolish, now, realizing that maybe I wasn't as mature and grown up as I thought I was. Or maybe that's the maturing process, right? Realizing? I don't know. Anyway, this song really hit me tonight as I'm realizing the growth I've had in just the past week. I know, I know, it's only been a week. But, it's been a very trying week and a very difficult one. So, I feel like I've had many opportunities to grow, and I've changed some. Hopefully it's for the better. One thing that resonates with me a lot right now is a conversation I had shortly before I left about letting little things bother me. I admit, I do. I let them irk me or irritate me or even sometimes freak me out for a bit before I can really deal with them and move on. I still do that, but I am working on it. I feel like I'm making progress, too, as I'm realizing that I'm on my own out here. Yes, I have friends and family just a phone call or text away, but physically, I'm on my own. So, when something presents itself, I have to deal with it. I think I'm becoming a better person. I'm learning my independence and my own strength. It's kind of like when I first got divorced. I learned a lot about how strong I can be and how independent I can be. But even then I had a lot of people to lean on that were physically there and totally supportive and completely wonderful. Now, those same people are filling that same role again but 3000 miles away. I wonder, can we become a new version of ourselves? If we can, will our old friends still like us? I certainly hope so, because I feel I'm being forced to grow and change out here and can only hope my friends still like me when I return a little more worn.

No comments:

Post a Comment