.........................................................................................

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Say Wha....?

O, NYC, the adventure never ends with you does it? Today's adventure, however, I could have gone a lifetime without. I've woken up every morning since I moved at 4:3o, 6:30 and then 8:30. I blamed the 6:30 on the sun hitting the building across from me just right. But now I know why the 4:30 one happened. I have also been noticing strange bites here and there since I've moved. Last night, however, when I woke up at 4:30 (ok, technically this morning), I realized there were many many more. I have bedbugs. Yup, you read that right. Bedbugs. They are vile, disgusting creatures. The more I learn about them, the more grossed out I am. So, I went downstairs at 4 in the morning to ask the guard on duty what I should do. He was shocked it had taken me this long to report and assured me he would contact his manager and get something figured out for me as soon as a decent hour approached. (I didn't know at first what they were, but in putting all the pieces of the puzzle together, I can't see that it could be anything else, now. Especially realizing that they detect food by carbon dioxide. So they realize I'm breathing and come feast. But why did it take them so long to really come out? My only theory is that yesterday we stirred them up when we installed the air conditioner as I think they live in that wall/outlet. Also, last night was my first night to sleep with the windows closed, so there was a lot more CO2 in the room to detect.) Anyway, not wanting to go back to bed (obviously), I piddled around online. About 7:30 I got a call from the CA on duty. She told me the process of getting rid of bedbugs. Boy is it a process.
First, I have to gather up ALL my clothing and washable sized fabric anything. Anything that can be washed must...right away...in HOT HOT water. (I wash everything in cold...this is gonna suck!) Then, I have to take the rest of my belongings and put them into trash bags. We then have to take the trash bags outside and let them sit to kill whatever bugs or eggs might be in those things. EW! But, being in the city, that means I have to be out there too. GRR! But, they were gracious enough to give me a prepaid laundry card and keys for a new room until the exterminator can come tomorrow.
After gathering all my bedding and laundry, I proceeded to put everything in the giant industrial trash bags they also provided. I spent most of the day doing laundry and putting it (once clean) into trash bags and into my temporary room. I couldn't put them back into my hampers because those, too, are cloth. We decided that there was too much conflicting information about the "sun baking" for the bugs and that we'd wait and ask the exterminator tomorrow.
My hope is that it is a small infestation and probably hasn't spread to the rest of my things. So, I sit here in my temp room sweltering without my spoiling AC and wishing none of this had happened. I also giggle because now my mattress cover is pink from the red pattern on my sheets and having to wash it all on hot. hehe :) So, like typical me, I find something to make a little light of the situation. Because, after all, it's a pretty sucky situation!

2 comments:

  1. That just plain sucks!! I can't believe it. As soon as I read in the first paragraph you had bed bugs, I knew you were screwed. Their almost impossible to get rid of...so good luck!!!

    BTW, you still need to email me your new address! :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, thanks, Jules! :) They're being pretty awesome (as they should be). They're even trying to find a way for me to stay permanently in this new room. That'll be nice. I feel MUCH mroe comfortable there.

    ReplyDelete