.........................................................................................

Monday, January 31, 2011

Blogger Update

Ok, so clearly I'm not very good at blogging every day. But, after another weekend of no internet, I'm back. :)

Day 18 -- Regrets
While I try to not regret anything and, rather, choose to learn from mistakes, one cannot help wishing some things had happened differently. One major thing I wish I had done differently in life is learn to stick up for myself and not live in fear long before I did. It would have saved me a long time of unhappiness and a lot of money. But, I have learned a lot from those times!
I think one always "regrets" not taking advantage of things/appreciating things until they are gone. I wish I had had a better relationship with my dad while he were alive. I feel almost that our relationship is better now, as I have learned to appreciate him and accept things about him that I could not as a teen. Perhaps it's age, perhaps it's loss. Not sure.

Day 19--Something I miss
Obviously, if you've ever met me or read my blog, you know I miss my dad. But, on a slightly cheerier note, I also really miss home. Also, if you know me, you know I move A LOT! My family always told people to never keep the Davis address in pen in an address book, because it will change. We warned people to write in pencil, always. However, mine changes so much, my family's gone to keeping me on sticky notes! I've worn a hole in my mom's book with her erasing so much. Because I move so much, I don't get tied to places easily. I don't allow myself to truly take root and establish "home" often. However, I've truly fallen in love and accepted as home Boulder, and I miss it. While I'm in NY I know that Boulder is home, and I will return soon.

Day 20--Nicknames
O here's a fun one. My middle name is my mother's first name, Sue. So, when I was growing up, although I'd hardly count this as a nickname, my sister used to love to torment me by calling me my full name and adding my mother's middle name. Thus creating Kimberly Sue Ellen Davis. To which I would always respond, "That's not my name!" It has now become a fun joke with us, but boy did it drive me crazy growing up.
Since then, I've been honored with a different, rather better nickname--The Hammer! It started when I was working as an assistant at the car dealership under the top salesman. As such, I would often finish up paperwork and do administrative things while he would work with another customer. Soon after I had been hired, such an occasion came up. He was working with an older couple and was paged to greet a new customer on the floor. He informed the older couple, who were at the stage of just doing paperwork, that his assistant would come and assist them with the completion of the paperwork, to which the older gentleman joked, "O, here comes the hammer!" which everyone (namely, Dennis) found hysterical, as here I come around the corner (still new to the job) timid and meek. Apparently in the old days of selling cars it was customary to have the "salesman" type make you fall in love with the car and decide to buy and then hand you off the strong-armed paperwork person to nail out numbers. In this case, that had already been done, but Dennis found it greatly amusing and it stuck. He was certainly one for nicknames. So, I became Kim "The Hammer" Hudson. And that's how he always referred to me, even when paging me over the loudspeaker at work. "Hammer to the Honda showroom, please, guests waiting" or "Kim The Hammer Hudson, call on XX." O he loved it. Honestly, so did I. It was fun. :)

And today: Day 21--The Meaning of Life
Wow, a hard one. Well, my senior year of high school had a final project in English class to explain the meaning of life...any way you wanted, any meaning you wanted. Seems kinda reminiscent. To me, at least right now (if not always), the meaning of life is love. To love and be loved is the ultimate human experience. It's all we can ask for, right? I mean, without love, what is there? That's my thought. Yeah, I'd like to travel the world; I'd like to see everything and experience it all, but really, I just want to share a love. That's really what it all boils down to. I'm lucky, really. I have an amazing boyfriend, wonderful family, fantastic friends--all of whom love me. And I love them. Life's pretty good, no?

1 comment:

  1. Ah love! Life's biggest scam. And the most told lie in the world...."I love you."

    I'll give you one guess who told me that. I know that you know who it was. Although I'm not even sure they believe it any more. ;)

    ReplyDelete